Types & Symptoms of Sleep Apnea – Plano, TX
Signs That You Should Seek Treatment
Sleep apnea doesn’t always appear the same way with all of the same symptoms. There are a few different types of sleep apnea and a multitude of symptoms that you could experience as a result. Symptoms vary based on a variety of different factors, including age, gender, and lifestyle habits. Here’s what you should know.
Types of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea consists of repeated cessations of breathing during the sleep cycle. There are three different types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This occurs when the throat muscles relax and block the flow of air into the lungs.
- Central Sleep Apnea: Central sleep apnea occurs when the brain doesn’t send proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing.
- Complex Sleep Apnea: This condition occurs when you have a combination of both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Oftentimes, symptoms overlap for different conditions, so it can be difficult to determine which signs point to sleep apnea. Here are some of the most common symptoms that sleep apnea sufferers encounter:
- Loud snoring/choking during sleep
- Frequent stoppages in breathing
- Sudden awakening with shortness of breath
- Waking up with a sore throat or dry mouth
- Difficulty staying asleep at night
- Difficulty focusing during the day
- Irritability issues and mood swings
In many cases, sleep apnea goes undiagnosed until a partner notices the symptoms. If you or your partner notice any of the symptoms listed above, you may want to consider scheduling an appointment with us to get to the bottom of the issue. We can give you a sleep test to determine your sleep breathing patterns and put together a plan that is right for you!